Tuesday, April 22, 2008

BALUTified!


It's been almost 2 years since I thought of posting a blog about a foreigner friend who is brave enough to have his/her first taste of balut (duck fetus). Finally, last Saturday, I was able to find a victim. I assured him that it tasted good and that eating one would be a great experience for him since he is a chef.

Yup, you got it! If you are a regular reader then you would have guessed by now who my victim was. Chef Markus Tauwald agreed to eat the 17 day old duck fetus but in one condition. That he would eat it in the dark so that he would not see exactly what he is about to put in his mouth. I had to succumb to his demand because it is not easy to find a foreigner who would do this, not that there is anything wrong with it, it is actually an aphrodisiac and is rich with protein. For more information about the balut, please click on the link below.

http://candifier.blogspot.com/2007/06/anyone-for-balut-duck-fetus.html

Anyway, MT described to me the texture and taste of the egg which kind of made my knees a bit weak.

"I can feel the feathers on my tongue. There's a crunch to it but still quite soft and gooey," he says. But he continues to eat the whole thing except for the hard part that cannot be chewed. Now, I have to tell you, I have never eaten a balut before and I don't think I will be as adventurous as MT. It is probably because of the feather thing. I think I will stick to penoy and sunny side up.

Trying to post a video but still can't get to attach it for some reason. Need the oracle to help me with it so for now, just click on the link for the balut unshelled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyzQJBejjcQ

Anyway, MT, thanks for being daring for the sake of my blog.


No comments: