Tuesday, July 31, 2007

It's My Birthday and I'll Cry if I Want To!!

Today, I celebrate my 35th year in this world. I have been through a lot of challenges from when I was a kid till now.

To name a few:

- getting brand new clothes and not hand me downs from my older sister, Jenny,
- learning Math when I absolutely hate it.
- realizing that just because I am wearing a green and white striped shirt does not mean I have to wear green and white striped socks.
- to have the nerve to french kiss in front of the whole school because of peer pressure.
- how to deal with freshly permed hair that made me look like Whitney Houston.
- how to explain to the security guard why I had an unpaid pencil sharpener in my pocket.

Those are some of the obstacles I had to go through and were critical to my being who I am now. Today, I don't wear socks unless I do sports. No more permed hair. The calculator is my best friend. Use mechanical pencil. I still get hand me downs from Jenny but I don't really mind that anymore. It's actually a great thing. And the peer pressure? Nah...I think it is even quite exciting to french kiss in front of the public.

But as I have 25 minutes left on my 34th year, I think about what my Auntie Grace told me when she read my stars. She asked me what time I was born, date and year. She opened up her mega-thick book about my lifeline and she said that my lesson in life, is LOVE.

As she read this in front of my whole family, I watched everyone agree to the fact that I am a loser in the LOVE department. I have been through many boyfriends and all of them have failed. I don't mean it to fail, and I do try my best to keep it alive, unless of course I can sense no real future with them, but for the last love of my life, it has made me realize that darn, I do suck at this sport.

This game of love has really beaten me to a pulp. I am down on the ground, curled up, crying my eyes out, humbled.

In the beginning, I know that I am great at it. Hitting every ball back to my partner. The weather working with us and the audience even cheering us on. There were a few misses, occasional downpour but nothing to despair about. I would always somehow get the ball back in the air. In the middle of the session, I start to lose my grip. I get too focused on the game that I tend to forget to enjoy it. I begin to ask to make the exchange faster, a better racquet, more balls, brighter skies. In the end, not only do I lose the game, I lose the person I am playing with.

It's officially my birthday and I am now 35 years old. It's not the age that makes me mature but it is the experiences that I go through that toughens me up. My lesson in life is LOVE...but not how to love someone...because that I am an expert at. To love myself is what I don't know how to do. To see my worth and value. To be happy with just me. To actually NOT look for love because it will find me when I am most ready.

Sure, birthdays are supposed to be a joyous moment. A fun filled day with lots of cheers and laughter, gifts and more gifts. But this year, I cannot help but feel a bit sad. Alone. Somewhat defeated. In tennis diction, it's love in the love department. But then again, from where I am now, the only way to go is up.

It is my birthday, so let me cry if I want to.

5 comments:

mike beatty said...

happiest of birthdays, candice. you will find love when it is meant to be, but in the meantime, you are headed on the right track in finding the love of yourself that so many others share.

xo - michael

Anonymous said...

awww you made me cry!!! :-(

Anonymous said...

hi candy! yeah,you may be single (again), but you are not alone and definitely not loveless... so cheer up friend!

Unknown said...

you were fated to have whitney houston hair because after all, you are now learning that the greatest love of all is learning to love yourself…

unless, you ended up looking like george benson after that perm...

now about the french kissing in school in public...didn't you go to an all-girls' school?

happy birthday candy. those boyfriends you dumped? well, as aiko melendez once said: "it's a blessing in the sky because it's their lost, not your."

Candifier said...

Hahaha...to actually remember a quote from Aiko M is hilarious...