Thursday, July 12, 2007

I've been YAPped!

It's official. 7 pm, 12 July 2007, Balmori function room of The Peninsula Manila. They were 20 of them and although some couldn't make it, I have made up my mind. I have decided to adopt the entire YAP clan as my second family. According to the internet, my Chinese name is Ning Kun Deng. Now all I need is to learn the language because after all, there's about 30 of them here in Manila and there's just me.




That's exactly what happened on my "Dad's" birthday. They were all there to celebrate his 70th and what a joyous evening it was. FELIPE YAP looked extremely happy having his family around all wearing red. It was perfect for me because I LOVE red so I wore my red and white skirt from Zara.


My new best friend, Dancing Alex who got all the green plastic leaf-like garnishing of the sushi and stuffed it all in her bag. What she plans to do with them? I have no idea.



Now, you might be wondering what a Flipper like me was doing in a Chinese get together but it was legit, I was invited and my freeloading mode was shut down. As I entered the room, the table setting was beautiful. Steffanie Chong, events manager, used a wide table to make room for lovely flower arrangements done by Marilyn Go. Candles were lit and fine crystal and silverware were eyecandies on thier own.


Now check out the food and just try to imagine how delicious each one is. Boy, I am sure you envy me just about now.

Sushi platter consisting of tamago, salmon, tuna, california maki and crabstick sushi. This is actually enough to make my tummy happy.


Fresh lobsters, crab legs and prawns. I am always up for some aphrodisiac. Yum!


Cheese, parma ham, eggplant and zucchini platter made sure that our appetite was heightened to the max.


Braised Salmon with shitake mushroom and asparagus in champagne sauce.


This is my favorite dish for the evening. Only set back about it is, it is best to eat it with rice. I stayed away from carbohydrates in rice but opted to get it from desserts instead. (HAHAHA!)
North Indian Curry Murgh Makhani


Baked Ravioli


The piece de resistance. Tender and juicy roast beef carving that melts in your mouth but stays in the thighs and belly. DARN, making this blog is making me hungry!


Had enough? Well there's more. Everyone was standing around the buffet table just chowing down the tortilla chips with 4 kinds of dip namely, tomato salsa, salmon dip, cheese and guacamole. It seemed out of place from all the other kinds of dishes but it was the best seller.


The sweet corner was made up of cheesecake, mango panacotta, chocolate truffles and creme brulee served with coffee and/or tea. Perfect way to end the evening right? Well, there's one more thing.


After dinner, "dad" called everyone's attention and started calling out names and he gave each one what is called angpao. A red chinese designed envelop that contains good luck money that you are not supposed to use (I say, good luck to ME!) Ok, for my friends who are not familiar with this tradition, it is when an elder (grandparents, parents) who's celebrating their birthdays, Christmas and New Year gives out these envelopes to their children, nieces, nephews and grandkids. Now, going back to my point, after all the good food, ambiance and great company, may I be blunt and say that being given angpao is the best dessert I have ever had.



We had Renzo, son of Lawrence and Christine, to entertain us with his harmonica and funny antiks. A photo of a happy and good looking family.


After 35 years of marriage, Uncle Paulino and Aunte Pacita proves that love can remain strong.


Enjoying the evening were Brian, Cassey, Cindy, Clark, Auntie Lily, Aunti Pacita, Christine and my "mom", Mama Emma.




Family photo of the young generation.


The *YAPpers (hihi).


And the *YAPpies (haha).


By the way, my freeloader switch was on again when Christine gave all the left over dessert and a flower arrangement for me to take home. Hihi..Thanks Christine! And to my new adopted "dad,"

QU NI SHENG ER KUAI LE!!!



The Peninsula Manila
(632)8123456
www.peninsula.com

No comments: