Tuesday, June 10, 2008

A Revisit to Dusit!



June 8, Sunday, 12 noon. We came prepared. None of us had eaten breakfast and we were ready for some serious battle using only our fork, spoon and chopsticks as our weapons. We were excited and looking forward to attacking 4 outlets in 3 hours.

Dusit Thani Manila Hotel's Sunday Family Lunch. It was the promo that I told you about a few posts back when I had lunch at Umu with the Yap family. This time, I brought in my first squad. My dad, mom, Toby and Janina, Markus and friends of my parents, the Acosta's.

As my plan was to try all the cuisine Dusit has to offer, I decided that we start with UMU, the Japanese restaurant and have something light such as sushi and one or two pieces of tempura. Perhaps chawan mushi or a small bowl of sukiyaki as well. It was hard to control the urge of getting more but this General was strict and reminded everyone constantly that there are other outlets to conquer.

For photos of UMU, please click on the link.

candifier.blogspot.com/2008/06/exquisite-dining-in-dusit.html

At the lobby, we were entertained by unicycler, juggler and guys on stilts. They even flew in a Thai to play the Hammered dulcimer. Impressive.





After taking over the Japanese empire, we headed to BENJARONG, the Thai restaurant. Here, we were nearly defeated as the food was extremely delicious. We all couldn't help but make our plates full and go back for more.





It was impossible not to go back for seconds in BENJARONG when there's an all you can eat Pomelo Salad, Spicy Beef Salad, cooked on the spot Pad Thai and for dessert, mango with sticky rice! It also came with bottomless pandan juice that was truly refreshing. As I type this, my tummy is growling. It was THAT good.




The greatest weapon of all was this mime artist who made us laugh so hard we nearly fell off our chairs. Apparently, with German's good looks, the mime artist fell in love with both of them.

Here's the artist flirting with Toby and when that doesn't work.....






...he tries hitting on Markus!



The happy gang of food lovers.


And so the war continues....after beating that Thai cuisine, meaning there was still room for more food in our bellies, we proceeded in trying to take over TOSCA.

Italian cuisine is very tricky. It had so much to offer that we were very confused as to what we should eat and what we should stay away from. I personally stayed away from the pizza and the pasta as it expands in the tummy quite fast. So the best decision I made was to focus on desserts! (drooling now)






There were fresh oysters, cracked open in front of you. Prawns, mussels, freshly baked make-your-own pizza, all-you-can-drink sparkling wine, carving station for prosciutto ham, all sorts of hot dishes, lobsters, lamb, squid and steaks were abundant and inviting.











Gosh, there's still so much more that I am sure I was not able to take a photo of but the Italian cuisine really broke down my regimen. They were getting weak and fuller by the minute. It was also the restaurant manager, Ms. Kerstin Glaesser, who made sure that we were served as if we were Kings and Queens. I know I am very queenly but I didn't think it was that obvious (Bwa HA HA!)


Markus with Italian Chef Alessio Loddo.


The Candifier Regimen.



And now, for my favorite part of food battle....the dessert. Here, I surrendered my all and gave in to the sugary temptation. Warm chocolate cake, baked in front of me with ice cream topping, pannacota, fresh fruits, different cakes and pastries. Creme brulle prepared as you watch! It was heavenly to watch it all even before even tasting it.












But the story does not end here. There was one more outlet that needed to be taken over. BASIX is where we decided to have our coffee or tea. To rest and to analyze the dining experience amongst ourselves. To ponder on how we attacked the different cuisines and plan our future exploration. But of course we talked about this over small portions of duck wrapped in tortillas, Roast beef and fresh fruits. The other goodies such as Shawarma, crepes and cheeses will have to wait for our next attack.








3 comments:

Anonymous said...

DARN! This post just made my stomach rumble with hunger!!!

Anonymous said...

So what is the story with you and the chef? You guys a couple or something? You guys make a good looking couple!

Wala lang, just making chismis! haha

Candifier said...

HAhaha! Me and Chef Markus? Noooo.....don't be so jealous. He is my good friend only. If you are gay and you want him, too bad, he is straight. But if you are a girl and you want him, I have to screen you first. :) After all, that's what friends are for.