Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Losing One's BIRKIN-ity.





The History of the Birkin Bag

There a few different versions as to how Birkin was born.

1. According to author Stephanie Pendersen, in her book, "Handbags, What Every Woman Should Know", the bag’s idea first came from a plane trip Birkin took, when she found herself sitting next to Hermès president Jean-Louis Dumas. Conflicting reports say she was carrying, at the time, or a straw bag; and complained to Dumas that the bag’s opening was difficult to get into.

2. Pendersen also claims that some reports have songstress, Birkin being asked by Hermès to draw her dream bag, and then charged her $5,000 for the finished product!

3. Birkin told noted fashion writer Dana Thomas that while seated next to Hermès CEO Jean-Louis Dumas in 1984 on a Paris to London flight, she opened her Hermès-made datebook and a flurry of loose notes fell to the floor. Dumas took her datebook and returned it a few weeks later with a pocket sewn into the back (which has since become standard). Birkin went on to discuss with Dumas her difficulty in finding a leather weekend bag and at his prompting, described her ideal. Shortly thereafter, the bag she described arrived at her flat with a note from Dumas.

4. A more piquant version of the story was repeated by film director Andrew Litvack. He put the year as 1981 and says that Birkin was called to Hermès to receive the first prototype. As she was leaving with the bag, they asked if she had forgotten something. Puzzled, she realized they wanted her to pay for it. Litvack claims Birkin was eventually reimbursed, and now receives a 10% discount on Hermès products.

Whatever the truth, Jane Birkin admits to owning only one of her namesakes. Ironically, in 2006 she announced she was retiring her Birkin as “ I love my Birkin bag, but I lug so much stuff around in it I believe it is part of the reason I have tendonitis.”



I am really not into expensive bags. Everyone that knows me knows that. I have friends and family that have bags that run up to P500,000 each! I read that Victoria Beckham not only has one of the hottest guys on Earth, she has 100 or so Birkins that is now valued at $2,000,000 (Two Million Dollars). In Philippine Pesos, that would be a whopping P89,000,000! (44.5 FX)






Holy Guacamole! Serious money there for bags if you ask me. But what is it about Birkin that makes every girl go LOCO anyway?

The origin? The quality? Range of colors? The leather used? The prestige? The Hollywood influence? The fact that it is not easily available? The challenge to acquire one? The big orange box?



Hermes Birkin is the Mother of all purses. Carrying one is short of saying to the world that, "Hey, see my bag? I have class and I am RICH!" It has become a representation of your status in society. Nothing really wrong with that now is there? I would probably faint with joy if I received an orange box with a big black H on it one day. (hint hint) But to tell you honestly, I would probably never buy one for myself only because I believe that putting my money on jewellery is a much better investment.

Investment you ask? Yes, according to the handy Wikipedia, Hermès handbags have been noted for being one of the few brands of handbag to either hold or increase in value with time, giving them the distinction of being considered by some as "investment quality" products.








So Hermes bags may be considered as an investment in some cases but tell that to your husband and he will probably laugh in your face. But he better be careful to not piss you off because you just might get an idea about bringing home this $120,000 Hermes Matte Crocodile Birkin Bag. The clasp of this 30-centimeter tote boasts 10 carats of white diamonds and its body is made of crocodile. Slap him with the bill and see if he can still laugh!


Now, you must be asking, where the hell can I buy an Original Hermes Birkin bag without having to travel abroad? There are quite a number of Wish-Upon-A-Bag-Granters here in Manila that I can recommend. Please check out the following sites.

Good luck and I hope you lose your Birkin-ity soon!

http://www.tresormakati.com/
http://lignedeluxe.multiply.com/
http://pursepodium.multiply.com/

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love love love this post! So funny and very informative. I love bags and will surely check out the sites and seriously try to lose my Birkin-ity!

Hahaha!! Love the way you write!

Anonymous said...

How can I say this....hmmm

YOU ARE A GREAT WRITER!!!

Simple as that.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you. I would never spend that much on a bag. I will most likely scratch, have pen marks inside and feel so bad that the price would dip so low after usage.

I would put my money on your jewellery ANYTIME!

Candifier said...

Awww...you guys are great with compliments. But I get a lot of those...how about each one of you send me a Birkin to show me how much you like my writing! BWA HA HA HA! (super evil laugh!)