Thursday, May 1, 2008

Leaving Cebu was a Difficult Thing To Do.

As our departure time approached, we were entertained by a dance from locals because there was a fiesta going on. It was like a farewell party just for us. How lucky can we get?






2:00 pm. Lunch time at Buko Bar. We decided to eat light but our order still turned out to be quite heavy. Service was superb and we were having so much fun that our hearts were aching with the thought of having to go back home to Manila. We all vowed to go back with the rest of the family before June. 






Marco Anzani, the Executive Sous Chef was kind enough to take time out to talk to your bloggerina about how he runs things in Shangri-la Mactan. Now, this resort, being as huge as it is, has 5 restaurant outlets, not including the function rooms and the Club floor. There's the Acqua, Tides, Buko Bar, Tea Spring, Cowrie Cove and the Lobby lounge. Add to that room service, the Horizon Club and all the functions/events that are booked in the hotel, this guy has his job cut out for him. 

Being in Cebu for 5 years, Chef Marco has found his true home when he married a Cebuana and now has a 9 month old baby girl. I love stories like this. I am a romantic fool, sometimes too much of a fool that it leads me to heartache. But with Chef Marco, the only heart issues I can have is a heartburn because of all the food available in this resort. Although I wish that I could have seen more seafood, Cebu being so close to the ocean. Still, with so many outlets, one can never get tired of the choices. We didn't have time to try out the Chinese restaurant but I did hear that the food is another whole story on its own.

Chef Marco was telling me about his love for the beach when the Food and Beverage Director came by to join our table. Darren Conole is Australian and is new to the city. Being with Shangri-la Mactan for only 5 weeks, he has not been able to see much of the city and country. I was about to ask him if he has been to Boracay but then I thought, that would be stupid since he already lives by the beach which personally, I think is much better than Boracay. Sure, the sand might be better in Bora but until Shangri-la opens, I would have to say that Shang Mactan is for me, the best resort yet.


Back to the topic, sorry that I easily get distracted. I blame it on the sunburn affecting my brain.

ANYWAY, since Darren is new to the country, he has yet to see other parts of the island. I asked him if he was overwhelmed with so much work since the resort has a number of restaurants, he said, "It is all about teamwork. Fortunately the Cebuanos are very hard working. They are friendly and eager to learn. We train people to sharpen their skills but we hire people because of their attitude."

Very well put if I may say. The hotel is planning an expansion project to add another 200 rooms. My oh my, I just hope that it doesn't get too crowded on this new place I call heaven because that would spoil it for me. I like the fact that there was a lot of free space to just roam and enjoy the view. Boracay has become too crowded that it has lost its magic of peace and serenity that it was so known for a decade or two ago.

As it was getting very close to leaving Cebu, I realized that what really made my stay here perfect was not only did I gain a very memorable experience, I also gained 2 new friends who was kind enough to share a few moments of their time.

Darren, I wish you luck on your baby girl who's due any time soon. When you come to Manila, make sure you ring me so I can help you shop for baby clothes.

Chef Marco, thank you for being a part of a wonderful journey my sisters and I had in Cebu's Shangri-la Mactan.

How sweet life is for these two men. A beautiful hotel, great surroundings, super duper friendly Cebuanos to work with, huge salaries, their wives and baby girls to complete their lives. Add the fact that they are featured in my blog and they now have a friend like me...boy such lucky guys! (Bwa ha ha ha!)

As for the photo, I was asked to stand on the elevated part of the garden because I am short. Thanks Darren for being so considerate. I am sure this photo disguises my height.




No comments: