Saturday, May 10, 2008

A Gem of a GM!

For four years that Jul B. Dizon Jewellery has been in Peninsula, I being the manager for the last three, I have gained another family that I have come to love.

Steffie, as you all might know is my sister. She knows all my deepest, darkest and frightening secrets, just like a sister should. Although I am older than her, I feel as if she always has to take care of me. She gives me great advice about my life and I give her advice about trying to find a boyfriend. I always fail. She is so darn picky. But I have to tell you that If it hadn't been for Fernando de la Vega, I don't think I would be as close to her as I am now. So FDV, I have you to thank for that.

In all families, there is a leader. A father that reminds the kids to be obedient. To behave, sit properly and to do your homework. In my Pen family, that would be David Batchelor, General Manager of The Peninsula Hotel, Manila.

He is the one person in the hotel that will make me sit in Church for 3 hours silently if I have to. And if you know me, that is a hard thing to do.

DB, this one is for you....



David Batchelor, 50, leads a life that most people would love to have. A prestigious position, great perks, luxurious atmosphere, a gorgeous wife and wonderful children, of course and an endless buffet table. This is the life of the General Manager of The Peninsula Hotel and and yes, you have every reason to envy him.

I often see him walking briskly from one end of the hotel to the other. He is generous with his smile and wave despite having the pressure and headache of running 500 rooms, 5 restaurant outlets, numerous function rooms and 900 staff members. But DB never fails to look calm and relaxed. It is a talent, a skill to be able to do this and I believe that he has done it perfectly.

Along with his passion for keeping the hotel studded with 5 stars, he also enjoys swinging the club occasionally and for taking in the sun at the beach with his family. His favorite spots? David says, "I have only been to 6 tourist spots in the country. It is a shame since I have been here for 6 years but whenever I have a long break, I always prefer to go back to Australia to visit my parents."

Formula One racing and tennis is also something he finds much pleasure in.

I must tell you that DB reminds me a lot of Pierce Brosnan. His dashing smile, handsome features and the confidence he exudes with each stride will surely make any lady weak in the knees.


The Peninsula Manila has been lucky enough to have David as GM for 7 years. I am fortunate to have been part of it the last four years but sadly, I will only have DB as my "dad" till August as he will be moving to Hong Kong. I know that HK is just a stone throw away, (actually faster to go to HK than from QC to Alabang) but to not see him dining in Neilsen's or sitting on the edge of his desk when he is having a friendly chat and for a few occasions, me having to force him to dance and get jiggy with it will surely be missed.

Mr. Batchelor, on August, prepare for a great flood as tears will surely flow like a river when you leave for your new assignment. Although I am saddened by this, I do wish nothing but the best for you, Marilu and the boys. I also want to thank you for your kindness and all the accommodation you have given Jul B. Dizon Jewellery and most importantly for honoring me with your friendship. It is a great thing to have and I will cherish it for the rest of my life.

No comments: