Thursday, November 29, 2007

The Peninsula Manila, the aftermath of the seige.

I was so ready to show you so many photos but I was told by Pen management that I cannot release any and because I am loyal to my Pen family, I must abide. Sigh....but really, we all have seen the worst, will showing it to my 20 readers really matter? Herald Tribune has a huge photo of the tank by the entrance. Anyway, I will try to describe it as colorful as I can and in time, when all has died down, will still try to post the pics.

As I walk towards the entrance the morning after the Magdalo group took over my Peninsula, an overwhelming sadness filled my heart as I saw where the tank destroyed the doors I walk through almost every day of my life. Broken glasses and bullet holes all over. The mirrors broken with bullet holes, the chairs and tables were overturned and burnt. The marble cracked and shattered. Plants were stepped on and crushed.

The staff were all there, fixing, cleaning and arranging what was left of the furniture that was not destroyed. It is an eerie feeling because I am so used to seeing the lobby with people having meetings, dining and tourists checking in. This morning, it was just a mess.

Thank goodness that none of the staff were hurt. All the concessionaires were also spared from gun shots and looting attempts.

The saddest story I have heard so far comes from a friend of mine who lives at the Pen. When the soldiers came in and took all they needed to arrest, they searched her home and took her personal belongings including her jewellery (engagement and wedding rings, watches and more). Now, tell me, are these soldiers here to protect and serve OR to harm and steal from us civilians? Whoever holds these stolen items now, may he have the nastiest rash with puss and infection in his groin for 20 years. Why 20? Because that is how much the engagement ring costs. US$20,000. A 1 carat, E color, Flawless diamond solitaire set in platinum from Tiffany. I have strong ties with the evil side so he has been cursed.

Anyway, we all have lessons to learn from this event, my top 5 being the ff:

1. Neilsen's entrance should be permanently closed.
2. Female journalists should forever put make up just incase something like this happens and they are on tv the whole day.
3. Always wear your engagement and wedding rings.
4. If it doesn't fit once, the 4th time will do the trick (tank and main door).
5. When you have a planned sale on Friday but the hotel gets under attack by 500 soldiers, a tank and mulitple gun shots fired on Thursday, most likely, the sale is postponed. So to all the people who asked if the sale was pushing thru today....think again. :)

1 comment:

The Bag Hag said...

That's terrible what happened to your friend and her jewellery. I too hope whoever stole those will suffer suffer suffer. I don't wish anyone ill but I'll make an exception in this case. May he forever be haunted by his conscience (if he even has any).