Thursday, June 7, 2007

Battle of the Buffets Part 2 (Paseo)

Two down, three to go.

Just to give you a recap, I have decided to try out 5 buffets from 5 different 5 star hotels. Basically, my goal is to see what these buffets have to offer, check how they compare to one another and decide what is best in food quality, ambiance, service and value. For more yummy details, you may read Battle of the Buffets Part 1.

Contender: PASEO UNO, The Mandarin Oriental
Date: June 7, 2007, dinner
Co-critics: Christine Y.T., Rose U., Minena G., Sandy, Cherry T.

The first thing you notice about Paseo is the interior design. Dark wood with lots of glass, dim lights and the aroma of the chocolate in the air. Romantic enough for a date but comfortable for a family gathering as well. Modern and classy, it is one of the best looking buffet restaurants I have seen so far.



As you enter, the first part of the buffet that will welcome you is the dessert. Like Circles, it is another good strategy to lure people in. And since I am in the topic of dessert, let me make my comments about it. There's a Halo-halo station which is a favorite of the gang. There's white and milk chocolate fountain with fruits and marshmallows and cookies as option to dip, flourless chocolate cake, strawberry mouse, lemon tarts among others. Although they look yummy, I say skip everything and go for the ice cream, halo halo or crepes that is prepared just the way you like them.

Cakes, pastries, lollipop and gummy bears were also available. Everything was presented well except for the strawberries. They were just too small to be covered in chocolate and to have a relatively big stick attached to it. It didn't look too appetizing and to think, I am a strawberry lover! I would rather have the small berries on a bowl and have the option to put whip cream and chocolate on top.


There's a whole selection of salad and appetizers but except for the shrimp, oysters and mussels, my gang usually skips this part but if you like potato salad, stuffed eggplant and other cold salads you won't run out of choices. I must say that the shrimp are a bit small and oysters were not plump. The seafood are also laid out so that each one was spaced out from one another. To me, it would have been better if they were stacked up in a pile so that they look abundant and more enticing. Spacing them out looks as if there's a shortage especially since the shrimp are quite small (at least compared to the ones in Circles).


There's a Chinese food station where there are 2 kinds of dumplings, siopao, noodles, sweet and sour chicken, duck, congee and other dishes. Tempura and 4 kinds of sushi was also available although once again, the shrimp in the tempura were skinny and short. Much like my ex-boyfriend. Sandy and Minena had a lot of the smallest hakao (shrimp dumpling) I have ever seen. No wonder they were able to eat about 15 pieces each. They may be small but they were delicious!!



Hot dishes like lamb escalope with herbs, stuffed chicken breast with ricotta and spinach and for the carving station they had baked bone ham in sourdough, beef tenderlion medallions and roasted chicken. To grill, there were assorted sausages and lamb. For the seafood lover, there's a huge snapper baked with herb tomato crust on top. This is usually where the guys in the gang use up 3 plates for. Cannot blame them, the grilled meat was heavenly.

The service was impeccable. We didn't have to wait for our plates to be cleared and glasses to be filled. The waiters were attentive and made sure that we had everything we needed which made us very happy. See? All smiles!


The outlet manager, Mr. Chris Kreuziger was kind enough to help me with the names of the dishes and to assist me with questions I had. He even brought me the spoon for my halo-halo, without my having to ask for it. Guess, I was planning to pour the whole yummy thing down my mouth. Thank goodness Chris was there to remind me of my manners.


Resident Manager, Mr. Knuth Kiefer and PR Manager, Ms. Donna Lampano visited our table to make sure that our dining experience was pleasurable. Now THAT is what I call superb service!

Generally, ambiance and service is a winner compared to Circles, hands down. Food quality can improve a bit making value for money just average.

Next stop, HEAT of EDSA Shangri-la Hotel.


Paseo Uno, Mandarin Oriental
Price for lunch: P1,290
Price for Dinner: P1,351
Friday dinner:P 1,413 (seafood buffet)
Service charge and tax included
(632) 7508888 extension 2412

No comments: