Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Trip to Vienna, Austria

I have one word for Vienna, Austria. F A B U L O U S!!



This was actually our last stop before Steffie and I had to go to Amsterdam for our flight home to Manila. But boy, I am so glad that we decided to go to Vienna even if we had luggage that weighed a ton and a half to lug around. It was simply breathtaking, and to think, we only had time to see 1 place, which is called Schonbrunn. There is a cafe on top a hill that Steffie and I climbed despite our aching bodies. As flippers (Filipino), we decided to take the long route up and make a wish as soon as we get to the top and hope for the best. We are superstitous that way.





We felt, acted, looked and pretended to be rich so we had a drink and something to bite in the very expensive cafe. We are Asians in the land of the Whiteys so we made sure that we were not mistaken as some maids on their day off. As always, I had lipstick on which can prove to the Austrians that asians with lipstick can be pretty dangerous.

The view was fantastic. As you can very well see in my photos, one can't help but be amazed at how beautiful the world can be if only we manicured our lawns, pick up our trash, plant some trees and flowering plants, keep the air clean, obey and respect rules and have gorgeous women like Steffie and I roam around freely with pocket money of about 1,000 euro each.




Anyway, back to Earth, this place we went to also had a zoo right next to it and Steffie and I, being animal lovers decided that it was something that paying 6 euro was worth. We wanted to very much see whales and dolphins and giraffes and lions but I was a bit disappointed when all we saw were some nasty penguins (they were doing IT, see photo as proof), pelicans, crocodiles, lizards, bears, turtles (which probably came from the here), fox and bats. I later on changed my mind about my 6 euros. What a waste. I see more animals in my household everyday! Pigs, cows, rats, dogs, snakes...oh wait, those are all the people I work with. Except mom and dad of course. Can't piss them off, they are the bosses of me.







One more reason why I love Austria so much is because they know how to appreciate beauty. Steffie and I were walking back to our hotel, but with Steffie's long legs, she was 10 steps ahead of me when this tall woman came up to me and stopped me on the middle of the sidewalk. Wait, let me describe to you how this lady looked like. She was dressed in white pants, white top and white jacket. She had on black patent shoes which was obviously Chanel and black purse to match it, as well as Chanel sunglasses which stood out against her platinum white hair and red lipstick (told you lipstick is a weapon). She was about 60 yrs old and very slim and practically had a sign on her forehead saying "I am a millionaire, stand back and let me through you peasant!" Very admirable in my book.



Anyway, she stopped me and said with her rich Austrian accent, "Excuse me, but where are you from?" I was thinking, "Oh no, she needs a maid and wants to hire me." I told her I was from Manila, Philippines. And then (are you sitting down?) she says to me, "My goodness, women from the Philippines are so beautiful!" I know, I know...I can't help these things from happening but think of it this way, I represented the Filipina and thanks to me, I have just put us on a pedestal.

Of course I am telling you this story not because it is the first time it happened to me (because it happens almost everyday, ahem ahem) but because this was, for me, the ultimate compliment. When a woman, a stranger that's oozing with confidence, class and wealth stops you on the middle of the sidewalk just to tell you how pretty you are, you can just leave everything behind and become an illegal alien in Austria. Imagine, if this woman thinks you are hot, what about what men think? Hmmmm????




But seriously, if you are planning to take a European vacation, visit Vienna, wear lipstick, skip the zoo, pretend you are rich, wish when you get to the top of the hill, and hope for the best.

No comments: